Friday, December 01, 2006

"Mak has some very funny professors", that what my teammate Mr G told my another teammate Ms K during lunch hour yesterday. Ms K stared at me and expecting me to explain it to her. Actually there is nothing funny about it but some of my friends find it strange and weird.

When I was in the aicraft and spacecraft engine course, it was taught by Dr Falk, better well-known as 'the Killer' by many of my seniors. Everyone called him Dr F**k (replace "al" to "uc" =P). Although he is one of the very few rocket and engine genius, many students don't really like him because of his boring teaching style and the way he treaten his students in exams. Obviously, I am the only Asian in the class. There was a time when he was not happy with those students who were not paying attention in his class, he suddenly said to us in the middle of class, "I know you guys don't really care about this course." He hated those who sat at the back because he noticed many of them were taking their nap :P So I decided to sit in the front row after the first week of the class. Very few students were taking the front seats anyway :P Unexpectedly, he punished all of us in the first exam. He has prepared a very tough paper, analyze aircraft engine within 50 minutes, can you believe that!? Technicians have a few days to do the service but we have 50 minutes to design and analyze it. However, I saw a very attractive corner of the exam paper, BONUS POINTS!!!!! :P He gave 5 quizzes, each worth 10 points at the very last page of the paper. So it means that if I can answer his short quizzes, 50 points out of 100 perfect score is surely a gift from our holy God! Somehow, when we read thru the questions, all of us were like......"WHAT!?" The questions of the bonus points are shown below:
1). What is the middle name of Homer Simpson?
2). Which kingdom does the Queen/Padmé Amidala come from?
3). Which state does the Captain Ramart of the Star Trek originally from?
4). What does the words on the ring in the Lord of the Rings mean?
5). What type of car is Dr Falk driving today?
I could feel the students at my back were very frasturated with the papers. The bonus points were there, waiting for us to reach it but it wasn't easy. Middle name of Holmon Simpson!? Although I love the Simpson, but middle name!? Who knows and I don't care! The second is easy, I am fans of Star Wars, Naboo~ Dammit, I never watch Star Trek, so skipped the third one. Lord of the Rings, ah ha! "One ring to rule them all, One ring to find them. One ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them!", that's the words scarred on the ring hehehe... Okay, that's it, I don't care how the hell he gotten to campus, so left the last quiz blank. Flipping back to do the main questions, that's the trick! We were running out of time after going thru his ridiculous quizzes, that's his main point. Feeling that I might have fallen in his trap, I did the calculation to analyze the engine as fast as I could. Sound of flipping papers frasturatedly can be heard over the classroom. I can feel that many people were panicking and didn't know which part of the paper should they started from. I just finished as much as I could till the very last minutes of the examination. Some students just gave up and walked out. When the time was up, I turned in my paper, no regret, I have done my best. Dr Falk sure marked the papers very damn fast. In the next class, he announced that he was very disappoined with the exam outcome, the average is just barely over 36%. Cold feeling was running down my spine, I felt that I can hardly breathe in the room, I need some fresh air. I could not fail my first test because there were only 2 tries before the final exam, there is no room for failure. If I dropped or failed the course, I have to wait 1 year to enrol again and that will really kill me deadly. He didn't distribute the papers back to us straight away, instead he wrote the statistic of the score on the whiteboard. Lowest score = 0, everyone silent and upsetting. Highest score = 98, suddenly everyone looks at each other, 'who the hell is that' was flowing thru everyone's mind. Obviously, many people had failed the papers which drag the average way so low. Dammit, I want my paper back so badly, we were all treatening by him psychologically! Finally he called each of us one by one for the papers. I peeped on several students who sat around me, the numbers I skimmed thru were ranging from 10 to 40. Oh God, I am so dead this time. "Maverick Mak~" I walked up to Dr Falk so upsetting. Surprisingly, he smiled at me and said, "Not bad. Not bad at all." I was confused of his comments. My project teammate Patrick who sat beside me asked, "How is it Maverick? I am sure it is a good one." I flipped open my paper, it showed 97/100. Muahahaha...what the hell! There was a little note under the score, it said that my bonus points will be creditted to my project because it will be over 100 after added to my exam score. And guess what, the guy who gotten 98 is my teammate! =P I learnt my lesson, don't misjudge your own capability. You are a more capable person than you think you are. My friends, please don't look down at yourself, we are all professioning in different fields.

2 Comments:

Blogger BaBy JeE said...

oh my DEAR lord, are u a genius? can u invent something new so both of us could get rich? kekeke... Mav, that was an awesome grade... I guess I'll never have that in Uni... take care!

9:11 AM  
Blogger A world that i've seen said...

wuah....i want maverick's brain!! give me 1% of your brain cell..kakakkakaka
ur professsor bit gila siao one..kekeke
wuah! nv underestimate a person woh...scary!

9:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home