Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Raked Wingtips

Oh well, this is my second blog after I mess up with the first one at Xanga. It's quite a mess that I don't even bother to go back there unless I wanted to contact my cousins hahaha...

These few days are quite a relaxing moment for me at my work place. This week will be my final week outstation in Malacca and will be start backing up all datas and packing all the computers to deliver back to the main office in Cyberjaya. At the mean time, no serious task is assigned to me yet, still waiting for some models from another team in Spain. However, I can't just relaxing to kill my time in the office otherwise someone on top of me will kick my ass hahaha... What am I going to do? As usual, flipping thru some really thick documents to read and try to apply them into design works.

One of my friends in USA just asked me a question recently. How do the "raked wingtips" really benefit to the aircraft? Well, at first I didn't really know what is raked wingtips. I thought it is some kind of winglets but I am wrong. Winglet is a vertical surface which project upwards at the wingtip. For raked wingtip, it is an extension from the wingtip horizontally of an existing wing. Raked wingtip also has an unique swept back shape. It is basically providing more lift without lengthening the wing itself. Therefore the aerodynamic efficiency of the wing will improved due to longer overall wingspan, which means longer flight range with the same amount of fuel. According to Boeing's 767 engineers, the advantages of this design approach are its simplicity (no design changes are needed to the wing because the raked wingtip can be bolted into place), lightweight and, cruise efficiency and airplane weight balance. However, since the wingtips are swept backwards, they will generate certain amount of lift force that distribute to negative pitching moment (nose down) which is not desirable.

Oh gosh, I almost forgot that I still owe Phione a testimonial for her friendster hahaha... Okay, I will try to make it up for her at least today hehehe... Hope she won't kill me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home